>Good Samaritan Home, Inc. is an Ohio nonprofit corporation, and is a tax-exempt entity under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3). The Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax, of a 501(c)(3) is a public record. The tax returns (Form 990) for Good Samaritan Home, Inc. are available at the website GuideStar.org for the years 2006-2008. The 2009 return is not yet available on the website. Here is a summary of the information reviewed for Good Samaritan Home, Inc.:
- 2006: Total Revenue $62,869 ($23,795 from direct public support; $36,809 from government contributions and grants; $2,265 from program service revenue including government fees and contracts).
- 2007: Total Revenue $140,980 ($62,287 from direct public support; $55,702 from government contributions and grants; $22,991 from program service revenue including government fees and contracts).
- 2008: Total Revenue $122,331 ($58,836 from contributions and grants; $63,495 from program service revenue).
A number of expenses are also listed on each return. Despite the identification of several Directors, in each year only John Graham was compensated.
Further, each return shows an expense for “occupancy,” which typically means rent. Good Samaritan Home, Inc. did not own any real estate in Darke County during 2006-2008. A recent DarkeJournal story detailed three residences that (at the time of the story) housed convicted sex offenders. John Graham and his wife are listed as the owners of these three properties. And it does not appear that Good Samaritan Home was using any other properties during this period of time. All of these things taken together, it seems very likely (but not absolutely conclusive) that the “occupancy” expense of Good Samaritan Home, Inc. would be monies that the non-profit corporation paid to the Grahams themselves for rent for the three properties.*
* [Additional information has been provided on this point. The “occupancy” expense on the Good Samaritan Home, Inc. tax returns includes rent plus other expenses, including for example utilities. Without a specific breakdown, it is impossible to determine how much of the “occupancy” expense is for rent, although rent may be about half of the total “occupancy” expense. 6/10]
A partial list of annual expenses follows:
- 2006 – compensation paid to John Graham ($3,500), occupancy ($23,671)
- 2007 – compensation paid to John Graham ($33,823), occupancy ($40,087)
- 2008 – compensation paid to John Graham ($49,091), occupancy ($39,416)
- 2009 – not yet available
UPDATE: A recent DarkeJournal story detailed how 12 convicted sex offenders were living in three downtown Greenville homes owned by John Graham and his wife. Six of those sex offenders lived at one address: 116 Ludlow Street, Greenville. That story was originally posted May 28, 2010. Information from the Darke County Sheriff’s website now indicates that two of the Ludlow Street residents were moved to other locations that same day. The resident previously identified as “S.H.” moved to 323 East Main Street, Greenville. The resident previously identified as “W.S.” moved to 451 East Third Street. Both have these new addresses listed with a note: “File last modified 2010-05-28.”
The move of W.S. is interesting in that it appears that he has moved into the Good Samaritan Home’s Fitzpatrick House. On the Good Samaritan Home website, the Fitzpatrick House is not described as a home for parolees, but instead … “two years ago we bought a 100-year-old apartment building across the street from Good Samaritan Home and remodeled it to be used as a homeless shelter – now called Fitzpatrick House — so we could offer a safe place to anyone in need.” An older Daily Advocate story also identifies the Fitzpatrick House as a refuge for the homeless.
The Good Samaritan Home website identifies the Fitzpatrick House as being the property depicted in the picture to the right, which is a double at 449-451 East Third Street, Greenville.
DarkeJournal is in possession of an email from one local charity which considers the Fitzpatrick House to be located at 451 East Third Street, Greenville. The same charity currently has a sticker in one of the windows at 451 East Third Street. The charity provides funding for the Fitzpatrick House.
The Good Samaritan Home website does not specify the address for the Fitzpatrick House, whether it’s the entire building, or just half of the double. But in any event, two convicted sex offenders are currently listed on the DCSO website as residing at 449 East Third Street, while another is listed as residing at 451 East Third Street.